Home > Guild Wars > Surviving Elona

Surviving Elona

December 19, 2008

A while ago I decided to try out monking a bit in Guild Wars, i.e. the healer role. Monk was pretty much the only profession I had not played yet, so it was time to try it out anyway. It worked reasonably well in beginning and also when Dunkoro and the other monk heroes were added. But to be honest I think it was not possible to split up the responsibilities so well with the heroes. With Dunkoro being a healing monk per default I focused a bit more on the protection monk path when levling up. Around 11-12 I did think of that the monk had not died yet, which was a bit worrysome. Last time I noticed that on a character it died soon after for the first time. But with a monk obtaining the survivor title should be easier than with other professions, at least with some support of other heroes. So I decided to try for real this time to get the Survivor title (i.e. no deaths until max level 20). With some hero support and the fire imp for added fire power in missions/quests the path to the title became easier. Since I had already done the leveling in Elona twice before it also helped to know where potentialy tricky/deadly spots could be in different locations. It was actually not until I had about 90 points left to level 20 that I got into some serious trouble when I ran into multiple mandragor groups popping up in the area and my monk was down to a sliver of health before escaping… Calming down a bit and going to a bit safer area to get the last few points the goal was finally reached and the survivor title in place!

Got the Survivor title

Got the Survivor title

I have no ambition at this point though to go further in the survivor titles (i.e. Legendary Survivor) – reaching level 20 without deaths is good enough for me. Now is the time to focus more on practising monking rather than surviving mainly (although survival helps if you are monking). I am not quite comfortable still with clicking around with the mouse in the party window to select members – I tend to loose track of the mouse pointer sometimes. Playing protection focused monk do seem more interesting in that one should be proactive rather than reactive. But time will tell.

About these ads
Categories: Guild Wars
  1. December 19, 2008 at 10:47

Bravo! I can never cope with the pressure of Survival, and invariably panic and overpull, almost exactly on L7. I’m very good at removing other people’s Survivor titles though – just ask anyone!

2. sente
    December 19, 2008 at 12:38

With Nightfall and Eye of the North, plus M.O.X. and the Fire Imp you can potentially have a somewhat smooth ride as long as you get to level 10 first.

M.O.X. is available from level 10 as level 20 hero and you can also get Ogden and Vekk from level 10 as well (also level 20 heroes).

But if those are used all the time then the regular heroes won’t level up though. I did use M.O.X. in some places, but mostly is was just the regular Nightfall heroes + Fire Imp.

Mandragors have been my big fear – it was those that killed my necromancer once I realized she had not died yet and it was those that nearly killed my monk now just before reaching the title. Vile creatures!

3. December 19, 2008 at 20:19

Yes, Van Hemlock *excels* at stripping all hopes of Survivor from everyone! :)

re: clicking on the party panel… how would you do it otherwise? I know some reason MMOs let you click F1-x to select but I find that incredibly clumsy. Otherwise I’m clicking on the huge group UI which is the same thing as GW’s smaller party panel although at least in GW I can easily move and resize it for minimal mouse movement and i press the 1-8 keys to cast.

Protection is very cool, I tend to run a Heal/Protection hybrid build normally but most recently I’ve been using the Healer’s Boon for really fast, mega heals so I try to always keep a Protection monk (hero or player) in my group to make the best combo pairing.

4. sente
    December 19, 2008 at 20:31

The click-in-party-UI is ok as a mechanic as long I can keep track of the mouse pointer, which I tend to loose sometimes. I think I will try to move and resize the party window a bit to see if that works out better.

Selecting party with function keys only works ok to a certain size of group, with 8-person groups it would be a bit clumsy yes.

I was thinking of a rotating select approach, e.g. “select next ally” and “select previous ally” mapped to 2 convenient keys. Might still be better with the mouse-click though.

5. December 20, 2008 at 04:25

Seems to me in a pinch (and in GW when it comes to reactive healing, it’s almost always a pinch) the keying to next/previous would cause more problems when you went too far and healed the wrong person, now the other is dead or your main heal is on cooldown or you’re out of energy… since there’s no taunting or any way to force aggro to a specific person (tank) in GW it’s pretty random who you’re clicking at any given moment.

6. sente
    December 20, 2008 at 11:34

Good point and I am not so sure either that the this functionality as it is today would cycle in a predicable manner when I think about it.

7. December 21, 2008 at 00:28

Nice work on getting your survivor title. I once tried to get it to rank 3 on my Warrior, but was mysteriously killed. I actually think it happened in a cut scene when all the minions turned on me :( I always skip the cut scenes now.

1. No trackbacks yet.
Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 25 other followers